Friday 14 February 2014

More Japanese Please

Restaurant: Wind
Country of Origin: Japanese
Location: Garden Park, St. Catharines

How was it?

I entered Wind on a cold winter day; stomach empty, and hopes high.

It was evident from the moment I entered Wind I was in for something special.
There was a line-up of hungry people longer than the corridor could accommodate.
Had the demographic of the crowd been younger, I'd have thought I was in line to meet Justin Bieber.
Thankfully this wasn't the case.

After a brief wait, me and my party were brought to a table and handed a menus.
The crisp gold lettering on the all black bound menu was simple and beautiful, the interior was anything but. 
Once I opened the menu I was bombarded with what seemed like thousands of options. 
As someone with zero Japanese food experience, this was a tad overwhelming. 

Thankfully my dining partners deciphered this hieroglyphic like selection of food choices for me.
"Go with the Pad Thai, mango sushi, strawberry sushi, cucumber sushi, chicken stir fry, and spring rolls." I was told by my friend. 


I may have been hungry, but that amount of food seemed a bit absurd for one person. 
Attempting to order solely one or two items suggested, I was assured I should trust my party and order everything at once.

I'm glad I listened. 
It wasn't until the food was brought to the table that I realized these weren't meal sized portions, but instead appetizers. 

The food was endless and I ate accordingly. 
Everything brought to me was delicious and consumed in approximately 3 seconds.
If you want to test your stomachs capacity, this is the place to do it.

If you're starving and can stand a crowd, I would highly recommend Wind.




8 comments:

  1. Great post Brayden. I have only had great experiences with Wind and I personally enjoy testing my stomachs capacity. You have some wise friends, definitely the mango sushi! I really enjoy your blog and the way your articulate your posts. Awesome blog choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wind is by far one of my favourite Sushi places in the Niagara Region. I go there almost once a month and have not had a bad food experience yet. The staff is also very professional. I never leave there without feeling extremely full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to try out Wind. One of the many sushi places to discover in St Catharines is Rawfish, which is right across from the Pen Center. It is one of my favourite places to go and the food is delicious. Have you been there at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Wind, but I can definitely agree with you about the overwhelming menu. Luckily you had some friends to guide you - I find that's the best way to try out a new restaurant. My favourite things from Wind are the Salmon Sashimi and Beef Tataki - try those next time you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post and absolutely love Wind. I've only started eating sushi about six or seven months ago.. prior to that the thought of raw fish was so very unappealing. Next time you should give the eel + avocado rolls a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brayden! I am so happy you reviewed Wind. I simply love that place. Great atmosphere and even better food.
    The only bad thing about reading your blog is that I have an undesirable craving for sushi so now I am craving it even more...ughhhh
    Keep up the great eats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been a sushi lover for a short 4 years now, and I cannot get enough, I crave it at least once a week. That being said I had only been to Wind for the first time year, and I was overly impressed. The service was prompt, the atmosphere was trendy and welcoming and the food was fresh and delicious. I am so glad your first sushi experience was at Wind, and I hope like me you are now a sushi addict!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone else. I absolutely love Wind, especially because of the great amount of vegetarian options they offer — this is something I often struggle with at restaurants.
    Maybe we should all go together someday and enjoy delicious sushi!

    ReplyDelete