Thursday 6 February 2014

Me Gusta La Comida Mexicana

Restaurant: Chile and Agave
Country of Origin: Mexico


How was it?

“Las cosas buenas vienen para las personas que esperan por ello”
A Spanish phrase which means "good things come to those who wait."
This phrase can best be applied to the St. Catharines Mexican restaurant, Chile and Agave.

From attempting to get into the miniscule parking lot, waiting to be seated, given menus, or ordering, waiting was present. 
The atmosphere and decor at Chile and Agave was -- okay. 
The walls were decorated with sombreros, and the tables laid out rather strangely. 
I was seated next to a giant plant that tried its best, the whole night, to put it's leaves in my ear.

Needless to say this evening started poorly. 

Things went from bad to worse after ordering.
Fifty minutes passed and still food was nowhere to be seen, (other than the plates of other tables.)
The waitress must have seen the look of desperation and emaciation I was giving her because she brought my table tortilla chips and offered a free drink.

This was a beautiful gesture that brought my hunger and anger levels from hungry Hulk to slightly satisfied and slightly intoxicated Bruce Banner.
Alcohol and free food, the solution to many of life's problems.

It was a brilliant move on their part. 
Shortly after inhaling the free tortilla chips, my food arrived.
The food looked phenomenal, glorious, and a little flirty (Note: opinion may have been skewed by extreme hunger.)


Rice, a beautiful salad, and a massive burrito filled with beef, beans, and possibly magical sauces. 
This food was authentic, delicious and unique. 
My mouth was in heaven. 
This was seriously the best rice, salad and burrito I had ever had.

Was it worth the wait?
Possibly... 

For authentic Mexican food in The Niagara Region, there's no better place.

My only advice would be to avoid this restaurant if you're starving and can't wait an hour to eat. 

3 comments:

  1. The food looks like it was worth the wait, I would love to try this restaurant out. I enjoyed your style of writing it kept me entertained but informed. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome read sir. I'm sorry your experience started out bad, but that food looks amazing. I'll have to look it up...albeit when I'm not starving ;)
    There is a small Mexican place in Downtown Port Colborne that's pretty good you should check out. It's called 3 amigos, I went there all the time when the Tribune sent me to the city for stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I go there quiet often, you're right, the wait is a little annoying but the food makes up for it! I'm not big on Mexican food but i sure love their margaritas!!
    Me alegra que te gusto la comida :)

    ReplyDelete